Saturday, January 14, 2012

It's Saturday and I haven't blogged yet this week

Wow. So this week I went back to school and started my new classes for the semester. Let me just say that I feel super smart in the majority of my classes. Like you know when you're in high school and you're in all honors/AP/IB classes and then you have to take that one CP class because that's the only level they offer? You know how smart you feel in that class and how everyone looks at you like "omg she is such a genius". Yeah. That's kind of my life currently. Stat 110 apparently has very little to do with actual math. Right now we're discussing the different parts in experiments. Ex. So and so is doing an experiment on plots of land. He puts fertilizers a, b, and c in the different plots and measures the wheat yield. What is the individual and what are the variables?

Easy, right? Most of this reminds me of Psychology and it's amazing. I'm also taking Elementary Math, because I kind of need it if I want to teach elementary school. but ANYWAY, yesterday we were going over some problem solving things and while a lot of people drew pictures and did guess and check (which are both perfectly fine and useful and I do them too) I made a system of equations. Stuff we did in 8th grade you know? I got up and explained what I did, which was no big deal, get back to my seat, and the girl sitting next to me asks me if I'm a math major. If you know me, you know how funny that question really is. Seriously, though, I feel like the smartest kid ever. It's pretty great.

As for my other classes, Bio isn't that bad so far. We don't start labs for another week, so all we've done so far is take notes. I have some friends in the lecture so I always have someone to sit with and I don't need to worry about finding a study group or whatever. I'm also taking an education course about "information literacy". Basically we're discussing how to use the library and other resources in our lesson plans and teaching strategies. It's pretty boring so far, but then again I've only had 2 classes. Next week we're going to the Edventure Museum for the frees which is CRAZY EXCITING! The last class I'm taking is American History post Civil War. It's interesting enough. My professor uses a lot of video to keep our attention. I can't wait until our discussion classes though, because I want to ARGUE! My professor did the stereotypical "Slavery was the cause of the civil war" thing. He even highlighted parts of the succession letters and showed how the main reason for succession was slavery. He did not discuss, however, that most families in the south did not have slaves because they were too poor. He barely went over that it was about state's rights in all ways, not just slavery. arg. Just wait until next Friday, Mr. TA. We're going to have a lovely discussion about the winners writing the history books.

So that's been my week. We'll see how the rest of the semester goes. Oh my goodness I almost forgot. I did zumba 2 times this week. My muscles are super sore. I don't even know how I can still walk. Seriously. Well have an awesome week! Hopefully next week I won't wait until the last minute to blog. psh who am I kidding? Of course I'm going to wait until the last minute.

2 comments: